Sunday 1 April 1917
It was Sunday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Johnny Andrews and Marc North.
Chi no ike jigôkû, directed by Yaroku Kobayashi, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1917.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1917!
Which were the important events of 1 April 1917 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- Johnny Andrews: Boston, Massachusetts -- Singer / host (Songs at Twilight).
- Marc North: France Military man.
- Leon Janney: Actor (Jim Matthews-Another World, Hawk), dies at 63.
- Dinu Lipatti: Romanian pianist and composer (d. 1950).
- Sheldon Mayer: American author and illustrator (d. 1991).
- Sydney Newman: Canadian screenwriter and producer co-created Doctor Who (d. 1997)
- Melville Shavelson: American film director, producer and screenwriter (d. 2007)
- Scott Joplin: American musician, one of the greatest jazz composers of the 20th century, the father of ragtime.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1917 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Poor Butterfly - Grace Kerns
- American Quartet - How's Every Little Thing in Dixie?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?