Monday 1 April 1929
It was Monday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Alibi, directed by Roland West, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1929.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1929!
Which were the important events of 1 April 1929 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- Barbara Bryne: English-American actress.
- Jonathan Haze: American actor producer screenwriter and production manager.
- Payut Ngaokrachang: Thai animator and director (d. 2010).
- Michel Debatisse: French agriculturalist and government employee.
- Bo Schembechler: American athlete; head coach of the University of Michigan Wolverines and a noted motivational speaker.
- Jane Powell: American actress and singer, a Hollywood perennial ingénue of the '40s musicals. Petite at 5'1" and 90 lbs, a soprano with a range of 2 1/2 octaves , she first sang on radio when she was seven. She made 16 movies for MGM from 1944-1955.
- Milan Kundera: The Czech Republic's most recognized living writer. Of Czech origin, he has lived in exile in France since 1975, having become a naturalised citizen in 1981. He "sees himself as a French writer and insists his work should be studied as French literature and classified as such in book stores."
- Marcel Amont: French singer-actor, TV presenter, sportsman, and author.
- Morehouse College, Spelman College and Atlanta University affiliate to form Atlanta University Center.
- Louie Marx introduces Yo-Yo.
- Austrian government of Ignaz Seipel falls.
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?