Monday 1 April 1929
It was Monday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Marcel Amont and Michel Debatisse.
Alibi, directed by Roland West, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1929!
Which were the important events of 1 April 1929 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- Marcel Amont: French singer-actor, TV presenter, sportsman, and author.
- Michel Debatisse: French agriculturalist and government employee.
- Milan Kundera: The Czech Republic's most recognized living writer.
- Jane Powell: American actress and singer, a Hollywood perennial ingénue of the '40s musicals.
- Bo Schembechler: American athlete; head coach of the University of Michigan Wolverines and a noted motivational speaker.
- Barbara Bryne: English-American actress
- Jonathan Haze: American actor producer screenwriter and production manager
- Payut Ngaokrachang: Thai animator and director (d. 2010)
- Morehouse College, Spelman College and Atlanta University affiliate to form Atlanta University Center.
- Louie Marx introduces Yo-Yo.
- Austrian government of Ignaz Seipel falls.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 April 1929
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?