Monday 1 April 1946
It was Monday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include William Frederick Fisher in Dallas and Ronnie "Plonk" Lane in London.
To Each His Own, directed by Mitchell Leisen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1946
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1946!
Which were the important events of 1 April 1946 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- William Frederick Fisher in Dallas: Texas, USA; MD/astronaut (STS 51-I).
- Ronnie "Plonk" Lane in London: England; rock bassist (Small Faces - "Hey Girl").
- Arthur Conley: American soul singer (Sweet Soul Music).
- John Barbata drummer (The Turtles - "Happy Together": "Eleanor").
- Arrigo Sacchi: Italian soccer/football team coach.
- Nikitas Kaklamanis: Greek academic and politician Greek Minister of Health and Social Security
- Ronnie Lane: English bass player songwriter and producer (Faces and Small Faces) (d. 1997)
- Eva Polttila: Finnish news broadcaster
- Noah Beery: Actor (Beau Geste, Cimarron Kid, Mammy), dies at 62.
- Weight Watchers forms
- 400,000 US mine workers strike.
- US notifies Cuba it will withdraw from military bases in Cuba.
- Tsunamis generated by an earthquake in Aleutian Trench strike Hilo, Hawaii.
- Formation of the Malayan Union.
- Van Acker forms Belgian government (without CVP).
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 April 1946
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?