Friday 1 April 1949
It was Friday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, directed by Tay Garnett, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1949.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1949!
Which were the important events of 1 April 1949 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- Gill Scott-Heron: United States -- Writer / poet / singer (Whities on the Moon).
- Sammy Nelson: Northern Irish footballer and coach.
- Gil Scott-Heron: American singer-songwriter and author (d. 2011).
- Gérard Mestrallet: French business executive, the Chairman and CEO of GDF Suez, as well as the Chairman of the Board of Suez Environnement.
- Gerard Mestrallet: French businessman.
- Chinese Civil War: The Communist Party of China holds unsuccessful peace talks with the Kuomintang in Beijing, after three years of fighting.
- The 26 counties of the Irish Free State become the Republic of Ireland.
- The Canadian government repeals Japanese Canadian internment after seven years.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?