Sunday 1 April 1973
It was Sunday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of April people in US were listening to Killing Me Softly With His Song by Roberta Flack.
In UK Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree by Dawn featuring Tony Orlando was in the top 5 hits.
Devil in Miss Jones, directed by Gerard Damiano, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1973
while The Odessa File by Frederick Forsyth was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1973!
Which were the important events of 1 April 1973 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- Kym Wilson: Australian actor and businesswoman, head of international operations based in the US for Australian designer Leona Edmiston.
- Christian Finnegan: American comedian and actor.
- Stephen Fleming: New Zealand cricketer and coach.
- Joe Francis: American businessman founded Girls Gone Wild.
- Kris Marshall: English actor.
- Daryn Tufts: American actor director producer and screenwriter
- Ferdy Vierklau: soccer player (FC Utrecht).
- Rachel Maddow: American radio and television personality, she is the host of cable program, "The Rachel Maddow Show." The first openly gay anchor for a major prime-time news and commentary television show, Maddow is an intelligent and popular commentatior for MSNBC's primarily liberal audiences.
- John andYoko form a new country with no laws or boundaries, called Nutopia, its national anthem is silence
- Japan allows its citizens to own gold.
- Betsy Cullen wins LPGA Alamo Ladies Golf Classic.
- Project Tiger, a tiger conservation project, is launched in the Corbett National Park, India.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1973 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly With His Song
- Vicki Lawrence - The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia
- The O'Jays - Love Train
- Gladys Knight and the Pips - Neither One Of Us (Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye)
- Deodato - Also Sprach Zarathustra (2001)
- Edward Bear - Last Song
- Carpenters - Sing
- Four Tops - Ain't No Woman (Like The One I've Got)
- The Stylistics - Break Up To Make Up
- Anne Murray - Danny's Song
Top #5 songs in the UK
- Dawn featuring Tony Orlando - Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree
- Gary Glitter - Hello Hello I'm Back Again
- Gilbert O'Sullivan - Get Down
- Little Jimmy Osmond - Tweedle Dee
- I'm A Clown / Some Kind Of Summer - David Cassidy
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?