Saturday 1 April 1989
It was Saturday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of April people in US were listening to Eternal Flame by Bangles.
In UK Too Many Broken Hearts by Jason Donovan was in the top 5 hits.
Cyborg, directed by Albert Pyun, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1989.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1989!
Which were the important events of 1 April 1989 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- Vietoris Krisztian: German racing driver.
- Mikey Goldsworthy: Bassist.
- Jan Blokhuijsen: Dutch speed skater.
- David N'Gog: French footballer.
- Yumi Sugimoto: Japanese model actress and singer.
- Christian Vietoris: German race car driver
- Henk Gortzak: Dutch Member of Parliament (CPN/PSP), dies at age 57.
- 1st New York Met-NY Yankee game in NYC since 1983, Yanks win 4-3
- A Bartlett Giamatti replaces Ueberroth as 7th commissioner of baseball
- Margaret Thatcher's new local government tax, the Community Charge (commonly known as the ''poll tax''), is introduced in Scotland.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bangles - Eternal Flame
- Milli Vanilli - Girl You Know It's True
- Roxette - The Look
- Rod Stewart - My Heart Can't Tell You No
- Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
- Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy
- Was (Not Was) - Walk The Dinosaur
- R.E.M. - Stand
- Vanessa Williams - Dreamin'
- Debbie Gibson - Lost In Your Eyes
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?