Saturday 1 August 1953
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK I Believe by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
From Here to Eternity, directed by Fred Zinnemann, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while The Dark Angel by Mika Waltari was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1953!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1953 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
- Robert Cray: American singer and guitarist.
- Howard Kurtz: American journalist and author.
- Bruna Lombardi: Brazilian actress and published poet.
- Marc-Philippe Daubresse: French politician, the Minister for Youth and Active Solidarities.
- Robert Cray in Columbus: Georgia, USA; blues singer/songwriter (1987 Grammy).
- Fidel Castro arrested in Cuba
- KMBC TV channel 9 in Kansas City, MO (MET / ABC) begins broadcasting
- KOBI TV channel 5 in Medford, OR (NBC) begins broadcasting
- Red Sox Ben Flowers sets then record of 8 consecutive games in relief
- California introduces sales tax (for education).
- Northern Rhodesia becomes part of Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1953 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 1 August 1953 and get them!