Monday 1 August 1955
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Trevor Berbick and Arun Lal.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
To Catch a Thief, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Something Of Value by Robert Ruark was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Those Whiting Girls.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1955!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1955 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
Famous Birthdays:01 August
- 1st microgravity research begins
- Tengku Abdul Rahman forms Malacca government
- WILL TV channel 12 in Urbana-Champaign, IL (PBS) begins broadcasting
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1955 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
- Frank Sinatra - Learnin' The Blues
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
- Les Baxter & His Orchestra - Unchained Melody
- Something's Gotta Give (orchestra Of Sy Oliver) - Sammy Davis Jr.
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?