Friday 1 August 1958
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Patricia by Perez Prado and His Orchestra.
In UK All I Have To Do Is Dream / Claudette by The Everly Brothers was in the top 5 hits.
The Fly, directed by Kurt Neumann, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1958
while Anatomy Of A Murder by Robert Traver was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1958.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1958!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1958 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
- Taylor Negron in Los Angeles: California, USA; actor (Silvio - Detective School).
- Tor Hakon Holte: Norwegian cross country skier.
- Kiki Vandeweghe: American athlete, pro basketball player who began his career when recruited by the Denver Nuggats in December 1980.
- Rob Buck: American guitarist and songwriter (10 000 Maniacs) (d. 2000).
- Adrian Dunbar: Irish actor.
- 1st class postage up to 4 cents (had been 3 cents for 26 years)
- US atomic sub USS Nautilus 1st dives under North Pole
- US first class postage up to 4 cents (had been 3 cents for 26 years).
- The last Tom and Jerry episode (''Tot Watchers'') made by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera is released. Tom and Jerry will not be released to theatres again until 1961.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1958 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Perez Prado and His Orchestra - Patricia
- Ricky Nelson - Poor Little Fool
- Elvis Presley - Hard Headed Woman
- Bobby Darin - Splish Splash
- The Coasters - Yakety Yak
- Duane Eddy - Rebel-'Rouser
- Kalin Twins - When
- Sheb Wooley - The Purple People Eater
- Jody Reynolds - Endless Sleep
- The Elegants - Little Star
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?