Wednesday 1 August 1962
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Roses Are Red (My Love) by Bobby Vinton.
In UK I Can't Stop Loving You by Ray Charles was in the top 5 hits.
Shoot the Piano Player, directed by Franois Truffaut, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1962
while Ship Of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1962!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1962 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
- Jesse Borrego: American actor and singer.
- Jacob Matlala: South African boxer (d. 2013).
- Cesar Montano: Filipino actor and director.
- Gertjan Verbeek: Soccer player (SC Heerenveen).
- Joetta Clark: East Orange, New Jersey -- 800m runner (1992 Olympics).
- Traci Phillips: Honolulu, Hawaii -- Sprint kayak (1996 Olympics)
- Jessé Garon: French artist, composer, singer-songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist of blues, country, rock'n'roll.
- Deborah Kucher: American victim of domestic violence; this young mother and daughter were found dead in their Leicester, MA home on July 29, 1999, apparent victims of domestic violence. Deborah had recently kicked out her live-in boyfriend who was later arrested and charged with both deaths. He reportedly pleaded guilty to strangling Kucher and raping and smothering Cassie. Deborah worked as a nurse’s aide; she reportedly loved animals and children and once bred white German shepherds.
- Rainer Lemke: German electronic scientist, entrepreneur (founder of a clay building company), professional astrologer (since 1986), and data collector. An advocate of the Munich School (Muenchner Rhythmenlehre) of W. Doebereiner, he distributed astrological software such as Hermes, Astromed and Stardeut. Since 1993 he lectured on astrology and computer courses and was cofounder of an astrology school in Cologne in 1995.
- Scott Anderson: American pro baseball player.
- Leon Kruczkowski: Polish Author (Niemcy), dies at 62.
- Failed assassination on President Nkrumah of Ghana
- Boston Red Sox player Bill Monboquette no-hits Chicago White Sox, 1-0.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1962 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Ray Charles - I Can't Stop Loving You
- Bobby Vinton - Roses Are Red (My Love)
- Neil Sedaka - Breaking Up Is Hard To Do
- David Rose and His Orchestra - The Stripper
- Little Eva - The Loco-Motion
- The Orlons - The Wah-Watusi
- Brian Hyland - Sealed With A Kiss
- Ray Stevens - Ahab, The Arab
- Pat Boone - Speedy Gonzales
- Theme From Dr. Kildare (Three Stars Will Shine Tonight) - Richard Chamberlain
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 1 August 1962 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?