Thursday 1 August 1968
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Hello, I Love You by The Doors.
In UK Baby Come Back by The Equals was in the top 5 hits.
Hang 'Em High, directed by Ted Post, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while Testimony Of Two Men by Taylor Caldwell was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1968!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1968 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
- Dan Donegan: American guitarist (Disturbed Fight or Flight and Vandal).
- Shigetoshi Hasegawa: Japanese baseball player and sportscaster.
- Stacey Augmon: American basketball player, a forward for the Portland Trailblazers.
- Shaun Proulx: Canadian media entrepreneur, performer, humorist, and radio and television personality.
- Stéphane Allix: French journalist, war reporter, director, and writer.
- Brian Bohanon: American pro baseball pitcher who had spent one year in the National League and seven years in the American League as of 1998. Bohanon was selected in the first round draft pick by the Texas Rangers directly out of school, 6/02/1987. He was placed on the disabled list 4/17/1988 for the remainder of that season. Due to his injuries, he remained on the disabled list playing for Charlotte, Oklahoma City and Texas thru 1994 when he was granted free agency 12/23/1994.
- Rob Carpenter: American athlete, , pro-football wide receiver for five seasons beginning in 1991.
- Canada begins replacing silver with nickel in coins
- Cleveland Metroparks begins operating Zoo
- WXIX TV channel 19 in Cincinnati-Newport, OH (IND) begins broadcasting
- The coronation is held of Hassanal Bolkiah, the 29th Sultan of Brunei.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Doors - Hello, I Love You
- Hugh Masekela - Grazing In The Grass
- Cliff Nobles - The Horse
- Mason Williams - Classical Gas
- Gary Puckett - Lady Willpower
- The 5th Dimension - Stoned Soul Picnic
- The Rolling Stones - Jumpin' Jack Flash
- The Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love
- Donovan - Hurdy Gurdy Man
- The Vogues - Turn Around, Look At Me
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 1 August 1968 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?