Tuesday 1 August 1972
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Alone Again (Naturally) by Gilbert O'Sullivan.
In UK Puppy Love by Donny Osmond was in the top 5 hits.
Every Thing You Always Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask, directed by Woody Allen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1972
while Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1972.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1972!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1972 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
- Tanya Reid: Canadian actress.
- Nicke Royale: Swedish musician (The Hellacopters).
- Thomas Woods: American historian, economist, political analyst, and author.
- Nicke Andersson: Swedish singer-songwriter and guitarist (The Hellacopters The Solution The Hydromatics and Imperial State Electric).
- Christer Basma: Norwegian footballer and coach.
- Todd Bouman: American football player and coach
- Martin Damm: Czech Republic -- Tennis star
- Devon Hughes: American professional wrestler
- Karen Dalton: Mount View, California -- Diver (1996 Olympics)
- Matt Dyson: NFL linebacker (Oakland Raiders)
- 1st article exposing Wategate scandal (Bernstein-Woodward)
- First article appears exposing Watergate scandal (Bernstein-Woodward).
- Nate Colbert of San Diego Padres hits record-tying five home runs in a double header.
- U.S. Senator Thomas Eagleton, the Democratic vice-presidential nominee, withdraws from the race after revealing he was once treated for mental illness.
- Arthur Bremer is jailed for 63 years for shooting George Wallace.
- Dictator Idi Amin declares that Uganda will expel 50,000 Asians with British passports to Britain within 3 months.
- A huge solar flare (one of the largest ever recorded) knocks out cable lines in U.S. It begins with the appearance of sunspots on August 2 an August 4 flare kicks off high levels of activity until August 10.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1972 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again (Naturally)
- Looking Glass - Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)
- Luther Ingram - (If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want To Be Right
- Wayne Newton - Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast
- Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose - Too Late To Turn Back Now
- Roberta Flack - Where Is The Love
- Alice Cooper - School's Out
- Mouth and MacNeal - How Do You Do?
- The Hollies - Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)
- Derek and the Dominos - Layla
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?