Monday 1 August 1983
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Every Breath You Take by The Police.
In UK Give It Up by KC & The Sunshine Band was in the top 5 hits.
Risky Business, directed by Paul Brickman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1983
while Return Of The Jedi by Joan D. Vinge was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1983.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1983!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1983 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
- Julien Faubert: French-born Martiniquais international football/soccer player, nicknamed "Le TGV" (or "The Express Train") from his time in French football.
- Bobby Carpenter: American football player.
- Craig Clarke: New Zealand rugby player.
- David Gervasi: Swiss decathlete.
- Peter Arne: actor, is bludgeoned to death in London, England at age 62.
- America West Airlines begins operations out of Phoenix, Arizona and Las Vegas, Nevada.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1983 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Police - Every Breath You Take
- Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
- Donna Summer - She Works Hard For The Money
- Duran Duran - Is There Something I Should Know
- Irene Cara - Flashdance...What A Feeling
- Eddy Grant - Electric Avenue
- Michael Sembello - Maniac
- Sergio Mendes - Never Gonna Let You Go
- Stevie Nicks - Stand Back
- Michael Jackson - Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?