Saturday 1 December 1956
It was Saturday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK A Woman In Love by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
Written on the Wind, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Don'T Go Near The Water by William Brinkley was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1956.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 December 1956!
Which were the important events of 1 December 1956 ?
- Ancient Latvia - Barbes Diena observed
- Feast day of St Eligius
- Romania - Union Day (the national holiday)
- Angola's Pioneers' Day
- World AIDS Day
- Portugal - Restoration of Independence Day: on December 1, 1640, Portugal regains its independence from Spain and Jopo IV of Portugal becomes king.
- Stuart Kimball: rock guitarist (Face To Face).
- Claire Chazal: French TV presenter (anchor), romance writer, and director of news at TF1.
- Julee Cruise: American singer-songwriter and actress.
- Candide opens at Martin Beck Theater NYC for 73 performances
- Indonesian Vice-President Mohammed Hatta resigns.
- Frank Robinson (National League) and Luis Aparicio (American League) are both voted Rookie of the Year.
- Alain Mimoun wins 13th Olympic marathon (2:25:00.0).
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1956 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?