Wednesday 1 December 2010
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of December people in US were listening to Only Girl (In The World) by Rihanna.
Tangled, directed by Nathan Greno, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinne was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2010.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 December 2010!
Which were the important events of 1 December 2010 ?
- Ancient Latvia - Barbes Diena observed
- Feast day of St Eligius
- Romania - Union Day (the national holiday)
- Angola's Pioneers' Day
- World AIDS Day
- Portugal - Restoration of Independence Day: on December 1, 1640, Portugal regains its independence from Spain and Jopo IV of Portugal becomes king.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 December
- Hillard Elkins: American theatre and film producer (Born 1929).
- Two villagers and 10 Naxalites are killed in firing between a group of criminals and Maoists in Munger, India. (PTI)
- Two walls collapse at the ancient Roman city of Pompeii during heavy rains, the third such incident in a month. (Adnkronos)
- Russia’s Gazprom and Ukraine’s Naftogaz Ukrainy have agreed to set up two joint ventures, the Russian company said after a meeting between its CEO Alexei Miller and Ukrainian Fuel and Energy Minister Yuri Boiko. (ITAR)
- 21 people are killed and several states declare a state of emergency after torrential rains in Venezuela. (AP)
- At the 2010 United Nations Climate Change Conference, Google unveils an initiative using Google Earth allowing users to view the effects of deforestation, impacts and videos on global warming and climate change. (''The Huffington Post'')
- Kazakhstan hosts its first OSCE summit in a decade. (euronews)
- South Korea states that it will hold more military exercises with the United States following the conclusion of a naval exercise in the Yellow Sea, despite threats from North Korea. (BBC)
- Israel reveals plans to build 625 more homes in the Palestinian territories, close to East Jerusalem. (Reuters)
- Japanese police arrest a leading mob figure, Tadashi Irie, third-in-command of the Yamaguchi-gumi. (UPI)
- Iran executes Shahla Jahed by hanging eight years after she was sentenced to death for murdering the wife of footballer Nasser Mohammadkhani, her husband under a temporary marriage. (BBC)
- A US army medic receives 9 months in jail after pleading guilty to shooting two unarmed Afghan farmers for ampquotno apparent reasonampquot. (Reuters)
- The opposition Muslim Brotherhood and Wafd parties withdraw from the Egyptian parliamentary election, after the ruling National Democratic Party wins 97% of the seats in the first round last weekend. (''The Guardian'')
- The results of the Afghan parliamentary election are finally announced. (''New York Times'')
- Rob Ford becomes mayor of Toronto. (CBC)
- The Football Association will investigate crowd violence at an English League Cup quarter-final fixture between Birmingham City FC and local rivals Aston Villa FC. (''The Telegraph'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2010 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?