Wednesday 1 February 1939
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Del McCoury and Ray Sawyer.
Gunga Din, directed by George Stevens, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Television Surveys.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 February 1939!
Which were the important events of 1 February 1939 ?
- St. Brigid of Kildare - one of the three patron saints of Ireland, the others being St. Patrick and St. Columcille.
- In Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the fictional character Willy Wonka gives an unprecedented tour of his chocolate factory on February 1 (year unspecified).
- Blessed Reginald of Sint-Gillis
- The start of LGBT History Month in the United Kingdom.
- The start of Black History Month in the United States.
- Imbolc - the first day of Spring in Ireland (Irish Calendar), one of the eight solar holidays in the Wheel of the Year.
- St. Veridiana
- Del McCoury: Bluegrass singer / musician.
- Ray Sawyer: Rocker.
- Paul E: Gillmor; American politician (Representative-Republican-Ohio).
- Claude Francois: French singer (d. 1978).
- Joe Sample: American jazz pianist.
- Fritjof Capra: Austrian-American theoretical physicist. A student of physics in Vienna , he continued his researches into high-energy physics at the University of CA, Berkeley. His work, "The Tao of Physics" suggestively bridges the gap between ancient religious teachings and modern physics. His interest in science ranges far beyond his field of specialization, as a matter of fact, focuses in part on the greater social and cultural implications of modern science.
- Claude François: French pop singer and songwriter born in Egypt, he wrote "Comme d'habitude, in 1967 the original version of "My Way." It caught the attention of singer Paul Anka whose version along with that of Frank Sinatra, made it an international hit.
- Paul Gillmor: American lawyer and politician (d. 2007)
- Ekaterina Maximova: Soviet and Russian ballerina (d. 2009)
- Yuri Rost: Russian photographer journalist and traveler
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?