Saturday 1 February 1947
It was Saturday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Terry Hibbitt and Jessica Savitch in Kennett Square.
Lady in the Lake, directed by Robert Montgomery, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching Dancing on Air.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 February 1947!
Which were the important events of 1 February 1947 ?
- St. Brigid of Kildare - one of the three patron saints of Ireland, the others being St. Patrick and St. Columcille.
- In Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the fictional character Willy Wonka gives an unprecedented tour of his chocolate factory on February 1 (year unspecified).
- Blessed Reginald of Sint-Gillis
- The start of LGBT History Month in the United Kingdom.
- The start of Black History Month in the United States.
- Imbolc - the first day of Spring in Ireland (Irish Calendar), one of the eight solar holidays in the Wheel of the Year.
- St. Veridiana
- Terry Hibbitt: Soccer star.
- Jessica Savitch in Kennett Square: Pennsylvania, USA; news anchor (NBC).
- Adam Ingram: Scottish politician, a Member of Parliament who returned at the General Election on 6/11/1987.
- Hervé La Martinière: French entrepreneur and publisher, founder and CEO of the publishing group La Martinière, which is among the six largest French publishing groups.
- Jim McKee: American baseball player, a right-handed pitcher with the Pittsburgh Pirates (1972–1973).
- Francesco Musotto: Italian politician, a Socialist in the '70s and a friend of ex-minister Salvatore Lauricella. Musotto became a legislator in 1983. In 1995 he was elected president of the province of Palermo. An attorney, he defended various Mafia bosses and in 1998, charged with association with the Mafia, he went on trial and was acquitted.
- Jessica Savitch: American broadcast journalist, reporter and anchor for CBS affiliates, a congressional correspondent. An attractive and ambitious blonde, she began in broadcast while still in high school in 1964. She worked for CBS for three years in Texas and five years in Philadelphia, PA before going national. There were reports that she moved up the ladder with her looks rather than her broadcasting skills and that she mumbled her news delivery, however there was no question that she was gifted in communica
- Mike Brant: Israeli pop singer (d. 1975)
- Normie Rowe: Australian singer
- Aleide de Gasperi forms Italian government of Christian-democrats and communists.
- Dmitri Shostakovich named professor at conservatory of Leningrad.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 February 1947
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1947 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Managua, Nicaragus - Kay Kyser & His Orchestra
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?