Tuesday 1 February 1949
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
A Canterbury Tale, directed by Michael Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 February 1949!
Which were the important events of 1 February 1949 ?
- St. Brigid of Kildare - one of the three patron saints of Ireland, the others being St. Patrick and St. Columcille.
- In Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the fictional character Willy Wonka gives an unprecedented tour of his chocolate factory on February 1 (year unspecified).
- Blessed Reginald of Sint-Gillis
- The start of LGBT History Month in the United Kingdom.
- The start of Black History Month in the United States.
- Imbolc - the first day of Spring in Ireland (Irish Calendar), one of the eight solar holidays in the Wheel of the Year.
- St. Veridiana
- Jayj Jacobs: American second generation astrologer, raised by Donald "Moby Dick" Jacobs who started his training when he was 15.
- Jimmy Lee Thorpe in Roxboro: North Carolina, USA; PGA golfer (1985 Greater Milwaukee Open).
- Herbert Stothart: American musician, a composer, director and arranger who won 11 Oscar nominations and the Oscar for his musical score of "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.
- 200 (5.08-m) Hale telescope 1st used
- RCA releases first single record ever (45 RPM).
- 200-inch (5.08-metre) Hale telescope first used.
- Rationing of clothes ends in Britain.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1949 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 1 February 1949 and get them!