Sunday 1 February 1953
It was Sunday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK You Belong To Me by Jo Stafford was in the top 5 hits.
The Naked Spur, directed by Anthony Mann, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while East Of Eden by John Steinbeck was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 February 1953!
Which were the important events of 1 February 1953 ?
- St. Brigid of Kildare - one of the three patron saints of Ireland, the others being St. Patrick and St. Columcille.
- In Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the fictional character Willy Wonka gives an unprecedented tour of his chocolate factory on February 1 (year unspecified).
- Blessed Reginald of Sint-Gillis
- The start of LGBT History Month in the United Kingdom.
- The start of Black History Month in the United States.
- Imbolc - the first day of Spring in Ireland (Irish Calendar), one of the eight solar holidays in the Wheel of the Year.
- St. Veridiana
- Brendan Batson: English former footballer.
- Andy Mill: Skier / husband of Chris Everet.
- C A: Barnett; headmaster (Whitgift School).
- George Estrada: Filipino-American reporter, author, and composer.
- General Electric Theater premieres on CBS TV
- You Are There with Walter Cronkite premieres on CBS television
- Dr A de Waal appointed as Netherlands 1st female Assistant Secretary of State
- Flooding in the Netherlands, kills 1,835
- WEEK TV channel 25 in Peoria, IL (NBC) begins broadcasting
- The surge of the North Sea Flood continues from the previous day.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1953 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 1 February 1953 and get them!