Monday 1 February 1960
It was Monday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of February people in US were listening to Running Bear by Johnny Preston.
In UK Why by Anthony Newley was in the top 5 hits.
Our Man in Havana, directed by Carol Reed, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1960.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 February 1960!
Which were the important events of 1 February 1960 ?
- St. Brigid of Kildare - one of the three patron saints of Ireland, the others being St. Patrick and St. Columcille.
- In Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the fictional character Willy Wonka gives an unprecedented tour of his chocolate factory on February 1 (year unspecified).
- Blessed Reginald of Sint-Gillis
- The start of LGBT History Month in the United Kingdom.
- The start of Black History Month in the United States.
- Imbolc - the first day of Spring in Ireland (Irish Calendar), one of the eight solar holidays in the Wheel of the Year.
- St. Veridiana
- Daniel Rialet: French actor who died on 11 April 2006 in Paris.
- 4 students stage 1st civil rights sit-in, at Greensboro NC Woolworth
- Extreme right-wing rebels in Algiers surrender.
- 34th Australian Women's Tennis: Margaret Smith beats J Lehane (7-5, 6-2).
- Four black students stage the first of the Greensboro sit-ins at a lunch counter in Greensboro, North Carolina.
- 48th Australian Men's Tennis: Rod Laver beats N Fraser (5-7, 3-6, 6-3, 8-6, 8-6).
- In Greensboro, North Carolina, four black students from North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University begin a sit-in at a segregated Woolworth's lunch counter. Although they are refused service, they are allowed to stay at the counter. The event triggers many similar nonviolent protests throughout the Southern United States, and six months later the original four protesters are served lunch at the same counter.
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Johnny Preston - Running Bear
- Mark Dinning - Teen Angel
- Marty Robbins - El Paso
- Where Or When - Dion and the Belmonts
- Jimmy Clanton - Go, Jimmy, Go
- Frankie Avalon - Why
- Jimmy Jones - Handy Man
- Miss Toni Fisher - The Big Hurt
- Freddie Cannon - Way Down Yonder In New Orleans
- Steve Lawrence - Pretty Blue Eyes
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?