Thursday 1 February 1968
It was Thursday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of February people in US were listening to Green Tambourine by The Lemon Pipers.
In UK Hello Goodbye by The Beatles was in the top 5 hits.
Planet of the Apes, directed by Franklin J. Schaffner, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while The Confessions Of Nat Turner by William Styron was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 February 1968!
Which were the important events of 1 February 1968 ?
- St. Brigid of Kildare - one of the three patron saints of Ireland, the others being St. Patrick and St. Columcille.
- In Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the fictional character Willy Wonka gives an unprecedented tour of his chocolate factory on February 1 (year unspecified).
- Blessed Reginald of Sint-Gillis
- The start of LGBT History Month in the United Kingdom.
- The start of Black History Month in the United States.
- Imbolc - the first day of Spring in Ireland (Irish Calendar), one of the eight solar holidays in the Wheel of the Year.
- St. Veridiana
- Pauly Shore in Hollywood: California, USA; comedian (Totally Pauly, Encino Man).
- Mark Recchi in Kamloops: British Columbia, Canada; NHL right wing (Montreal Canadiens).
- George Quigley Jr in Cincinnati: Ohio, USA; skeet (Olympics-1996).
- Lisa Presley: American noted family, the daughter of Elvis Presley and his wife Priscilla.
- Javier Sanchez: in Spain; tennis star.
- Lisa Marie Presley Keough Jackson in Memphis: Tennessee, USA, daughter of Elvis Presley.
- Sean Millington: Canadian Football League fullback (British Columbia Lions).
- Kent Mercker in Dublin: Ohio, USA; pitcher (Atlanta Braves, Baltimore Orioles).
- Pauly Shore: Movie Actor
- Mark Recchi: Canadian ice hockey player and coach
- Former VP Richard Nixon announces candidacy for President
- Famous photo: Saigon police chief Nguyen Ngoc Loan executes a Viet Cong officer with a pistol shot to the head.
- World trade conference Unctad 2 opens in New Delhi.
- Former US Vice-President Richard Nixon announces candidacy for President.
- Vince Lombardi resigns as coach of the Green Bay Packers.
- Canada's three military services, the Royal Canadian Navy, the Canadian Army and the Royal Canadian Air Force, are unified into the Canadian Forces.
- The New York Central Railroad and the Pennsylvania Railroad are merged to form the ill-fated Penn Central Transportation.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Paul Mauriat and His Orchestra - Love Is Blue (L'Amour Est Bleu)
- John Fred & His Playboy Band - Judy In Disguise (With Glasses)
- The Lemon Pipers - Green Tambourine
- Aretha Franklin - Chain Of Fools
- Classics IV - Spooky
- Union Gap - Woman, Woman
- The Temptations - I Wish It Would Rain
- The American Breed - Bend Me, Shape Me
- Goin' Out Of My Head/Can't Take My Eyes Off You (Medley) - The Lettermen
- The Human Beinz - Nobody But Me
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 1 February 1968 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?