It was Sunday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of February people in US were listening to I Want You Back by The Jackson 5.
In UK Two Little Boys by Rolf Harris was in the top 5 hits.
MASH, directed by Robert Altman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1970
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
directed by Franklin J. Schaffner
starring: George C. Scott, Karl Malden, Stephen Young
directed by Robert Altman
starring: Donald Sutherland, Elliott Gould, Tom Skerritt
Which were the important events of Sunday, 01 February 1970 ?
- St. Brigid of Kildare - one of the three patron saints of Ireland, the others being St. Patrick and St. Columcille.
- In Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the fictional character Willy Wonka gives an unprecedented tour of his chocolate factory on February 1 (year unspecified).
- Blessed Reginald of Sint-Gillis
- The start of LGBT History Month in the United Kingdom.
- The start of Black History Month in the United States.
- Imbolc - the first day of Spring in Ireland (Irish Calendar), one of the eight solar holidays in the Wheel of the Year.
- St. Veridiana
Famous People born
Malik Sealy; NBA guard/forward (Detroit Pistons
- Ford Frick, Earle Combs and Jesse Haines elected to Hall of Fame
- West-Germany and the USSR sign gas contract
- WMAA TV channel 29 in Jackson, MS (PBS) begins broadcasting
- Stalled commuter train rammed by express in Argentina, 139 die.
: Los Angeles Clippers).
: NBA center (Vancouver Grizzlies).
: Japanese racing driver
Famous People died
: Composer, dies at 69
: Hungarian mathematician (Born 1921)
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1970 ?
Playboy Magazine cover
TIME Magazine Cover: Biafra: End a Rebellion -- Jan. 26, 1970
Sports Illustrated: no.8162
Esquire Magazine cover
Love Story - Erich Segal
The French Lieutenant's Woman - John Fowles
Islands in the Stream - Ernest Hemingwa
The Crystal Cave - Mary Stewart
Tell the world why Sunday, 1 February 1970 is such a special date for you!