Wednesday 1 January 1908, NewYear’s Day
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Kinue Hitoma and du Merle.
Barberaren i Sevilla, directed by , was one of the most viewed movies released in 1908
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1908.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 January 1908!
Which were the important events of 1 January 1908 ?
- Kinue Hitoma: Japan -- 800m runner (1928 Olympics - Silver Medalist).
- du Merle: Toulon Military man.
- Bill Tapia: American singer and guitarist (d. 2011).
- 1st time, ball signifying new year dropped at Times Square
- For the first time, a ball is dropped in New York City's Times Square to signify the start of the New Year at midnight.
- Jack Hobbs makes his Test debut at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (83 and 28).
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1908 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Take Me Back to New York Town - Billy Murray
- The Bully - May Irwin
- You've Got to Love Me a Lot - Ada Jones & Len Spencer
- Messiah: Every Valley Shall be Exalted - Harry Macdonough
- Two Blue Eyes (Two Little Baby Shoes) - Byron G. Harlan
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in January 1908?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?