Saturday 1 January 1927, NewYear’s Day
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Flesh and the Devil, directed by Clarence Brown, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1927
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1927.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 January 1927!
Which were the important events of 1 January 1927 ?
- Maurice Béjart: French dancer, choreographer, ballet and opera director; his style incorporates an eclectic blend of jazz, avant-garde music and nontraditional dance forms.
- Calum MacKay: Canadian ice hockey player (Born 1927).
- Vernon Smith: American economist and academic Nobel Prize laureate.
- Barbara Baxley in Stockton: California, USA; actress (Norma Rae, Countdown).
- Juliusz Luciuk: Composer.
- Yuri Grigorovich: Leningrad, Russia -- Choreographer
- Pat Heywood: Scottish actress
- Maurice Bejart: French-born Swiss choreographer (Born 1929)
- Doak Walker: American football player, who played professionally in the National Football League (NFL) with the Detroit Lions for six seasons, from 1950 to 1955.
- James Reeb: American Unitarian Universalist minister and a pastor and civil rights activist in Washington, D.C. While participating in the Selma Voting Rights Movement actions in Selma, Alabama, in 1965, he was beaten severely by white segregationists and died of head injuries two days later in the hospital. He was 38.
- Dodgers announce release of future Hall of Fame Zack Wheat
- Communist uprising in West Java.
- Turkey adopts the Gregorian calendar: December 18, 1926 (Julian), is immediately followed by January 1, 1927 (Gregorian).
- The Cristero War erupts in Mexico when pro-Catholic rebels attack the government, which had banned the Catholic faith.
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?