Sunday 1 January 1939
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Dawn Patrol, directed by Edmund Goulding, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 January 1939!
Which were the important events of 1 January 1939 ?
- Michèle Mercier: French actress.
- Phil Read: English motorcycle racer and businessman.
- Michéle Mercier: Nice Actor.
- Michele Mercier: French actress.
- John Grundhofer: American accountant and CEO in charge of First Bank System, a bank holding company.
- William Hewlett and David Packard found Hewlett-Packard in the USA.
- Anglo-American trade agreement goes into effect, cutting tariffs in US, England, and Crown Colonies.
- Sydney, Australia, swelters in 45 ?C (113 ?F) heat, a record for the city.
- The Hewlett-Packard Company is founded.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1939 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- They Say - Artie Shaw & His Orchestra
- You're A Sweet Little Headache - Benny Goodman & His Orchestra (Vocal Martha Tilton)
- Thanks for Everything - Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 1 January 1939 and get them!