Monday 1 January 1940, NewYear’s Day
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Laszlo Sary and Richard Henry Orton.
The Hunchback of Notre Dame, directed by William Dieterle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
On TV people were watching NBC News (1940 TV Series).
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 January 1940!
Which were the important events of 1 January 1940 ?
- Laszlo Sary: Composer.
- Richard Henry Orton: Composer.
- Frank Langella in Bayonne: New Jersey, USA; actor (Dracula, Diary of a Mad Housewife, Twelve Chairs).
- Jack Kiefer in Columbia: Pennsylvania, USA; PGA golfer (1994 Ralphs Senior Classic).
- Jean Calbrix: French crime writer, and professor of mathematics at the University of Rouen.
- Jean-François Dehecq: French business leader, the vice president of the National Industry Council. He is also co-founder and Honorary Chairman of Sanofi (a French multinational pharmaceutical company headquartered in Paris) and Chairman of the Strategic Orientation of the Strategic Investment Fund Committee.
- Dominique Grange: French singer, songwriter and political activist since the early 1960s. She is also a translator and writer of comics.
- Clifford Olson: Canadian homicide perpetrator. From the age of 17, he spent most of his time in jail for breaking-and-entering, theft, forgery, armed robbery, false pretences and escape. On 17 November 1980, when he performed his first murder, he became a serial killer, going on a spree that lasted until his arrest in August 1981, during which time he beat or strangled 11 people, mostly young boys and girls.
- Jorge Risi: Uruguayan musician, a violinist born to Italian parents. Already an accomplished violinist, he went to Germany to study, 1963. He tells a story that when he arrived, JFK had just been assassinated and everyone gave me condolences because he was a "South American." Jorge was a committed Marxist from youth, a member of the Frente Amplio group (Open Front).
- Panuganti Lakshminarasimha Rao: Indian writer and essayist (Born 1865).
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1940 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- The Man Who Comes Around - Tommy Tucker & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?