Thursday 1 January 1959
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of January people in US were listening to The Chipmunk Song by The Chipmunks.
In UK It's Only Make Believe by Conway Twitty was in the top 5 hits.
Bell Book and Candle, directed by Richard Quine, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Around The World With Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 January 1959!
Which were the important events of 1 January 1959 ?
- Michel Onfray: French writer and philosopher who adheres to hedonism and anarchism.
- Andy Andrews: American tennis player.
- Azali Assoumani: Comorian colonel and politician President of the Comoros.
- Panagiotis Giannakis: Greek basketball player and coach.
- Abdul Mohmand: Afghan colonel pilot and astronaut.
- Abdul Ahad: Mohmand in Afghanistan; cosmonaut (Soyuz TM-6).
- Castro leads Cuba to victory as Fulgencio Batista flees to Dom Rep
- Highway 91 in Nevada is officially renamed Las Vegas Boulevard.
- Chad becomes autonomous republic in French Community.
- Rohan Kanhai completes 256 versus India at Calcutta.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Platters - Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
- Clyde McPhatter - A Lover's Question
- Fats Domino - Whole Lotta Loving
- The Chipmunks - The Chipmunk Song
- The Teddy Bears - To Know Him, Is To Love Him
- The Kingston Trio - Tom Dooley
- The Everly Brothers - Problems
- Elvis Presley - One Night
- The Playmates - Beep Beep
- Ricky Nelson - Lonesome Town
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 1 January 1959 and get them!