Friday 1 January 1960
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Why by Frankie Avalon.
In UK What Do You Want? by Adam Faith was in the top 5 hits.
Jack and the Beanstalk, directed by Jean Yarbrough, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1960.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 January 1960!
Which were the important events of 1 January 1960 ?
- Rayo de Jalisco: Jr.
- Hakan Karahan: Turkish author poet and songwriter.
- Toomas Vitsut: Estonian businessman and politician.
- Danny Wilson: English footballer and manager.
- Jeff Taylor: American athlete, whose short-lived pro basketball career began in 1982.
- Michael David Morrison: Actor (Caleb Snyder-As the World Turns)
- Leilani Kai: American wrestler
- Michael Seibert: American figure skater who earned many medals from 1978 with partner Judy Blumberg. A lanky 5'10", Seibert was a shining example of the precision and skill needed for ice-dance, and the couple was the American hope for the 1984 Olympics.
- Margaret Sullavan: American actress who reached the peak of her acclaim in the 1943 stage production, "Voice of the Turtle.
- US census at 179,245,000
- The Republic of Cameroon achieves independence from France and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- Montserrat adopts constitution.
- Johnny Cash plays his first free concert for inmates, at a show at San Quentin Prison in California.
- Bank of France issues new franc, worth 20 cents.
- Cameroon gains its independence from French-administered U.N. trusteeship.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Frankie Avalon - Why
- Marty Robbins - El Paso
- Miss Toni Fisher - The Big Hurt
- Paul Anka - It's Time To Cry
- Freddie Cannon - Way Down Yonder In New Orleans
- Guy Mitchell - Heartaches By The Number
- Connie Francis - Among My Souvenirs
- Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife
- Fabian - Hound Dog Man
- Steve Lawrence - Pretty Blue Eyes
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?