Thursday 1 January 1981
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic). In that special week of January people in US were listening to (Just Like) Starting Over by John Lennon.
In UK There's No One Quite Like Grandma by St Winifred's School Choir was in the top 5 hits.
Le gendarme de Saint-Tropez, directed by Jean Girault, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1981
while The Covenant by James A. Michener was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1981.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 January 1981!
Which were the important events of 1 January 1981 ?
- Abdulkadir Kocak: Turkish boxer.
- Mladen Petric: Croatian footballer.
- Jonas Armstrong: English actor of Irish decent, best known for his appearances on television in the United Kingdom, where he played the titular role in the BBC One drama series "Robin Hood" (39 episodes: 2006-2009).
- Zsolt Baumgartner: Hungarian race car driver.
- Abdülkadir Koçak: Turkish boxer.
- Hephzibah Menuhin: American-Jewish concert pianist (Born 1920).
- International Year for the Disabled begins
- Greece is 10th country to join European Economic Community.
- Georgia beats Notre Dame in Sugar Bowl for college football title.
- Palau (Trust Territory of Pacific Islands) becomes self-governing.
- Roger Smith becomes CEO of General Motors.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1981 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- John Lennon - (Just Like) Starting Over
- Leo Sayer - More Than I Can Say
- Neil Diamond - Love On The Rocks
- Kenny Rogers - Lady
- Bruce Springsteen - Hungry Heart
- Air Supply - Every Woman In The World
- Barbra Streisand - Guilty
- Blondie - The Tide Is High
- Pat Benatar - Hit Me With Your Best Shot
- Heart - Tell It Like It Is
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?