Saturday 1 January 2011
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Firework by Katy Perry.
TRON: Legacy, directed by Joseph Kosinski, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Decision Points by George W. Bush was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 January 2011!
Which were the important events of 1 January 2011 ?
- Cash Evans: American child of noted family, he is the first-born child of Courtney Friel of Fox News and her husband, CNN‘s Carter Evans.
- Estonia officially adopts the euro currency and becomes the seventeenth eurozone country.
- A bomb explodes outside a Coptic church in Alexandria, Egypt, killing at least 21 people and wounding 97 more street disturbances between Christians and Muslims ensue. (Al Jazeera)
- Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius adopt the United States dollar as the sole legal currency, reducing the use of the Netherlands Antillean guilder to Curaçao and Sint Maarten. (Bloomberg)
- Estonia adopts the Euro, becoming the 17th Eurozone country.
- Four people are killed and around 40 injured after a passenger plane explodes in Surgut in eastern Russia. (AP)
- Two people are killed after a hot air balloon crashes onto a bowling green in Midsomer Norton, Somerset, United Kingdom. (BBC)
- Over a thousand dead blackbirds and other fowl fall out of the sky in Arkansas after a violent tornado outbreak and hailstorm. (CNN)
- A deep earthquake measuring magnitude 7.0 hits near Santiago del Estero in northern Argentina. Only weak shaking is felt and no damage is reported. (Press TV)
- Canada's Foreign Minister, Lawrence Cannon, urges Iran to improve the country's human rights record and denounces Iran for imposing ampquotdraconian death sentences and unfair jail terms,ampquot while expressing particular concern for the fate of two Canadians of dual nationality imprisoned in Iran. (''Edmonton Journal'')
- Hungary takes over the presidency of the European Union. (AFP)
- Dilma Rousseff is sworn in as Brazil's first female President. (Xinhua)
- The Bolivian government rescinds a government decree that significantly increased fuel prices after violent unrest. (Al Jazeera)
- Mass graves are discovered in Côte d'Ivoire amid other political violence as United Nations peacekeepers come under increased tension in the country when allies of Alassane Ouattara call for a forceful removal of Laurent Gbagbo. (''Taipei Times'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2011 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?