Sunday 1 January 2012
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of January people in US were listening to We Found Love by Rihanna.
The Flowers of War, directed by Yimou Zhang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 January 2012!
Which were the important events of 1 January 2012 ?
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 January
- Arab Spring:
- 2011–2012 Syrian uprising:
- The Arab Inter-parliamentary Union, an advisory body to the Arab League, calls for the removal of its monitors in Syria, saying that they are inadvertently helping the government cover up ongoing violence. (BBC)
- Syrian opposition groups say that over 5,800 people were killed in violence in 2011. (CNN)
- 2011–2012 Bahraini uprising:
- A funeral of a Bahraini youth killed yesterday in a protest turns into another protest with police forced to use tear gas. (Reuters)
- At least two people are killed in attacks on bars in northern Kenya near the border with Somalia, with Islamist al-Shabaab militants possibly responsible. (Reuters)
- Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan declares a state of emergency in parts of the country hit by violence by Islamist militant group Boko Haram. (Al Jazeera)
- South Sudan is to send more troops and police to Pibor, the scene of ethnic violence. (BBC)
- Queen Elizabeth II appoints former Prime Minister of Australia John Howard and British painter David Hockney to the Order of Merit. (''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Rio Tinto Alcan locks out hundreds of workers from a smelter in the Canadian town of Alma, Quebec. (CBC)
- A 7.0-magnitude earthquake strikes south of Japan no damage is caused. (Newsday)
- A boat capsizes near Lamu Island off the Kenyan coast with at least seven people dead. (Reuters)
- The Iranian Navy test-fires a surface-to-air missile. (MSNBC)
- Pakistan and India give each other a list of their nuclear sites. (CNN)
- A joint New Year editorial by North Korean media calls for ampquothuman shieldsampquot to protect new Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un. (''The Telegraph'')
- Nigeria announces an end to its fuel subsidy scheme leading the Nigeria Labour Congress to call for strikes and street protests. (Reuters)
- Egypt's military rulers bring forward elections for the Shura Council, the upper house of the Parliament to expedite progress in developing a new constitution. (AFP via France 24)
- The second of NASA's Gravity Recovery and Interior Laboratory spacecraft is in orbit around the moon. (AP)
- In football, the Swaziland national football team withdraws from the qualifying rounds of the Africa Cup of Nations due to financial constraints. (Reuters)
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2012 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?