Saturday 1 July 1916
It was Saturday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Olivia de Havilland and Olivia De Havilland.
Flirting with Fate, directed by Christy Cabanne, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1916
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1916.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1916!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1916 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Olivia de Havilland: British-born actress.
- Olivia De Havilland: American actress, a sweet, soft-voiced movie star during Hollywood's golden era in the 1930s and 1940s.
- Jean Giraudeau: French opera singer, lyric tenor, debut at opera-comique 1947; one of most important lyric tenors of his generation.
- Jean Ceuppens: Belgium sport Champion.
- Iosif Shklovsky: Ukrainian astronomer and astrophysicist (d. 1985).
- George Stoney: American director and producer (d. 2012)
- British court martial (Easter uprising)
- Coca-Cola brings current coke formula to the market
- Honus Wagner, 42, is oldest to hit an inside-the-park HR
- World War I: First day on the Somme : On the first day of the Battle of the Somme 19,000 soldiers of the British Army are killed and 40,000 wounded.
- July 12: At least one shark mauls 5 swimmers along of New Jersey coastline during the Jersey Shore shark attacks of 1916, resulting in 4 deaths and the survival of one youth who requires limb amputation. This event is the inspiration for author Peter Benchley, over half a century later, to write ''Jaws''.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1916 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Fair Hawaii - Elsie Baker & Reed Miller
- Where Did Robinson Crusoe Go with Friday on Saturday Night? - Al Jolson
- Good-Bye, Good Luck, God Bless You - Ernest Ball
- My Bonny Bonny Jean - Harry Lauder
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?