Sunday 1 July 1917
It was Sunday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Georges Boulogne and Álvaro Domecq y Díez.
Little Women, directed by Alexander Butler, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1917.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1917!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1917 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Georges Boulogne: French football (soccer) player and manager, better known for his stint as France's national football team manager, 1969-1973.
- Álvaro Domecq y Díez: Spanish military figure, who distinguished himself as a fighter pilot in the Spanish Civil War on Francisco Franco's rebel side, and later re-introduced bullfighting on horseback to Spain.
- Humphry Osmond: English-American lieutenant and psychiatrist (d. 2004).
- 257cm-mirror for Mount Wilson Observatory mounted
- Reds Fred Toney pitches completes doubleheader victories over Pirates
- Robins (Dodgers) play their 1st Sunday game in Brooklyn
- Race riots in East Saint Louis Illinois (40 to 200 reported killed).
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1917 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I - Anna Wheaton
- American Republic March - Prince's Orchestra
- With His Hands in His Pockets and His Pockets in His Pants - Byron G. Harlan
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?