Sunday 1 July 1956
It was Sunday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Why Do Fools Fall In Love by Teenagers featuring Frankie Lymon was in the top 5 hits.
Somebody Up There Likes Me, directed by Robert Wise, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while The Last Hurrah by Edwin O'Connor was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1956.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1956!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1956 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Bill Caudill: Baseball player.
- Lorna Patterson in Whittier: California, USA; actress (Airplane!, Private Benjamin).
- Takayuki Godai: Japanese actor.
- Ulf Larsson: Swedish actor and director (d. 2009).
- Lorna Patterson: American actress.
- Alan Ruck: American actor
- Beverly Hanson wins LPGA Western Golf Open
- Elvis Presley wearing a tuxedo appears on Steve Allen Show
- Ibrahim Hashiroe succeeds Said el-Moefti as Premier of Jordan
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1956 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
Top #5 songs in the UK
- Teenagers featuring Frankie Lymon - Why Do Fools Fall In Love
- Pat Boone - I'll Be Home
- All Star Hit Parade (EP) - Various Artists
- Elvis Presley - Heartbreak Hotel
- I'm Walking Backwards For Christmas / Bluebottle Blues - The Goons
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?