Saturday 1 July 1961
It was Saturday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Diana Frances Spencer and Kalpana Chawla.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Quarter To Three by Gary U.S. Bonds.
In UK Surrender by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
Rocco and His Brothers, directed by Luchino Visconti, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Kraft Mystery Theater.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1961!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1961 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Diana Frances Spencer: Sandringham, England -- Princess of Wales (-97).
- Kalpana Chawla: Indian astronaut, Kalpana Chawla, Ph.
- Diana : British royalty, daughter of the 8th Earl of Spencer with excellent lineage that dates back to the 15th century, the 11th cousin once removed to Prince Charles, heir to the throne of the U.K.
- Carl Lewis: American track and field athlete.
- Malcolm Elliott: English cyclist.
- Michelle Wright: Canadian country music singer and guitarist
- Louis-Ferdinand Celine: French physician and writer, a novelist.
- KNDU TV channel 25 in Richland-Pasco-Kennew, WA (NBC) 1st broadcast
- Haleakala National Park established in Hawaii, USA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Gary U.S. Bonds - Quarter To Three
- Dee Clark - Raindrops
- Pat Boone - Moody River
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- Ricky Nelson - Travelin' Man
- Adam Wade - The Writing On The Wall
- Brook Benton - The Boll Weevil Song
- Pips - Every Beat Of My Heart
- Little Caesar and the Romans - Those Oldies But Goodies (Remind Me Of You)
- Ben E. King - Stand By Me
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?