Monday 1 July 1963
It was Monday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Easier Said Than Done by The Essex.
In UK From Me To You by The Beatles was in the top 5 hits.
Summer Magic, directed by James Neilson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1963
while Seven Days In May by Fletcher Knebel and Charles W. Bailey II was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1963!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1963 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Edward Tsang Lu: Springfield, Massachusetts -- Astronaut (STS 84).
- Roddy Bottum: Los Angeles, California -- Rock keyboardist (Faith No More-Real Thing).
- Nick Giannopoulos: Australian actor producer and screenwriter.
- David Wood: American lawyer and environmentalist (d. 2006).
- Camille Chautemps: French Radical politician, served three times as Prime Minister of the Third Republic.
- President Kennedy arrives in Rome
- US postal service institutes the "zip" (Zone Improvement Plan) code.
- ZIP Codes are introduced for United States mail.
- The British Government admits that former diplomat Kim Philby had worked as a Soviet agent.
- Diplomatic relations between the Israeli and the Japanese governments are raised to embassy level.
- The Roman Catholic Church accepts cremation as a funeral practice.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1963 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?