Friday 1 July 1966
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Strangers In The Night by Frank Sinatra.
In UK Strangers In The Night by Frank Sinatra was in the top 5 hits.
The Sword of Doom, directed by Kihachi Okamoto, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1966
while Valley Of The Dolls by Jacqueline Susann was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1966!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1966 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Eric Ball: NFL running back (Oakland Raiders).
- Larisa Savchenko: Neiland, Latvia -- Tennis star.
- Patrick McEnroe: Manhasset, New York -- Tennis star.
- Simon Arkell: Australian pole vaulter (1992, 96 Olympics - 17th Place).
- Zita Funkenhauser: German fencer.
- Enrico Annoni: Italian footballer and coach
- Stéphan Caron: French swimmer, born to a French father and a Scottish mother. He won twice the bronze medal at the Olympics (1988 and 92) on the 100m freestyle and the gold at the 1985 European championship.
- Shawn Burr: Sarnia, Ontario -- NHL left wing (Tampa Bay Lightning)
- 80th Wimbledon Mens Tennis: M Santana beats D Ralston (64 11-9 64)
- Construction crews in San Francisco begin tearing up Market Steet to build BART.
- Explorer 33 launched
- VVV soccer team forms in Venlo
- The first color television transmission in Canada takes place from Toronto.
- Medicare goes into effect in the USA.
- Joaquin Balaguer becomes president of the Dominican Republic.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1966 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Rolling Stones - Paint It, Black
- Tommy James and the Shondells - Hanky Panky
- The Beatles - Paperback Writer
- Frank Sinatra - Strangers In The Night
- The Lovin' Spoonful - Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind?
- The Cyrkle - Red Rubber Ball
- Simon and Garfunkel - I Am A Rock
- Dusty Springfield - You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
- The Capitols - Cool Jerk
- Robert Parker - Barefootin'
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?