Thursday 1 July 1971
It was Thursday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Darick Holmes and Oleg Antonenko.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to It's Too Late by Carole King.
In UK Knock Three Times by Dawn was in the top 5 hits.
Two-Lane Blacktop, directed by Monte Hellman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1971
while The Passions Of The Mind by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Silent Years.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing The Oregon Trail or Star Trek.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1971!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1971 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Darick Holmes: NFL running back (Buffalo Bills).
- Oleg Antonenko: Hockey forward (Team Belarus, Olympics - 1998).
- Wanda Gonzalez: Miss Connecticut USA (1996).
- Steven W Bailey: American actor.
- Amira Casar: French actress.
- Bieke Ilegems: Belgian actress, Ilegems had her first child, a daughter, in 1996 and her second child, another daughter, on April 16, 2002. She made her debut in 1994 and appeared in the Belgian TV soap opera, "Familie" for seven years.
- Julianne Nicholson: American actress, who appeared in "Little Black Book" and "Kinsey"
- Melissa Peterman: TV Actress
- Missy Elliott: American rapper and singer
- Steven Bailey: American actor
- Jamie Walker: American baseball player
- British and Argentina sign accord about Falkland Islands
- State of Washington becomes 1st state to ban sex discrimination
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1971 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Carole King - It's Too Late
- The Raiders - Indian Reservation (The Lament Of The Cherokee Reservation Indian)
- Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose - Treat Her Like A Lady
- Carpenters - Rainy Days And Mondays
- Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds - Don't Pull Your Love
- The Honey Cone - Want Ads
- The Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar
- James Taylor - You've Got A Friend
- Jerry Reed - When You're Hot, You're Hot
- Ringo Starr - It Don't Come Easy
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?