Saturday 1 July 1972
It was Saturday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Corey Hirsch and Darrick Bledose.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Song Sung Blue by Neil Diamond.
In UK Vincent by Don McLean was in the top 5 hits.
Duck, You Sucker, directed by Sergio Leone, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1972
while The Winds Of War by Herman Wouk was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Kikaida: Android of Justice.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Empire or Hunt the Wumpus.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1972.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1972!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1972 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Corey Hirsch: Medicine Hat, Alberta -- NHL goalie (Vancouver Canucks).
- Darrick Bledose: WLAF cornerback (Frankfurt Galaxy).
- Sunshine Becker: American singer (Furthur).
- Claire Forlani: English actress.
- Alex Machacek: Austrian guitarist (BPM and CAB).
- Steffi Nerius: German javelin thrower
- Follies closes at Winter Garden Theater NYC after 524 performances
- Hair closes at Biltmore Theater NYC after 1750 performances
- Ms. magazine begins publishing.
- The first Gay Pride march in England takes place.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1972 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Neil Diamond - Song Sung Blue
- Sammy Davis Jr. - The Candy Man
- Billy Preston - Outa-Space
- Bill Withers - Lean On Me
- Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose - Too Late To Turn Back Now
- Jimmy Castor - Troglodyte (Cave Man)
- Gallery - Nice To Be With You
- Elton John - Rocket Man
- America - I Need You
- Wayne Newton - Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?