Sunday 1 July 1979
It was Sunday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Ring My Bell by Anita Ward.
In UK Are 'Friends' Electric by Tubeway Army was in the top 5 hits.
The Wanderers, directed by Philip Kaufman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while The Matarese Circle by Robert Ludlum was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1979!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1979 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Forrest Griffin: American mixed martial artist.
- Sylvain Calzati: French road bicycle racer, who competed as a professional between 2003 and 2011.
- Emily Cook: American skier, ranked number one in free style skier in the nation as an overall aerial specialist in the 13-14-year-old age group, July 1993.
- Richard Ward: Actor (Beacon Hill), dies at 64.
- Stampede Pass, Washington is covered with 6 of snow
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Donna Summer - Bad Girls
- Donna Summer - Hot Stuff
- Anita Ward - Ring My Bell
- Sister Sledge - We Are Family
- Randy Vanwarmer - Just When I Needed You Most
- Rickie Lee Jones - Chuck E.'s In Love
- Kenny Rogers - She Believes In Me
- Supertramp - The Logical Song
- Earth, Wind and Fire - Boogie Wonderland
- Rex Smith - You Take My Breath Away
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?