Friday 1 July 1983
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Flashdance...What A Feeling by Irene Cara.
In UK Every Breath You Take by The Police was in the top 5 hits.
Class, directed by Lewis John Carlino, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1983
while Return Of The Jedi by Joan D. Vinge was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1983.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1983!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1983 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Halil Akkaş: Turkish runner.
- Lynsey Bartilson: American actress and producer.
- Marit Larsen: Norwegian singer-songwriter and keyboard player (M2M).
- Leeteuk : Pop Singer.
- Tanya Chisholm: TV Actress.
- Leeteuk (Park Jung Su): Korean singer
- R Buckminster Fuller: American architect and philosopher (Born 1903).
- A North Korean Ilyushin Il-62M jet en route to Conakry Airport in Guinea crashes into the Fouta Djallon mountains in Guinea-Bissau, killing all 23 people on board.
- Cinematronics releases Dragon's Lair to arcade centers in the USA. It is the first laser-disc-based coin-operated arcade game. Cost per play is 50-cents. Advanced Microcomputer Systems designed the game, with animation provided by Don Bluth Animations.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1983 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Irene Cara - Flashdance...What A Feeling
- Eddy Grant - Electric Avenue
- The Police - Every Breath You Take
- Culture Club - Time (Clock Of The Heart)
- Sergio Mendes - Never Gonna Let You Go
- Styx - Don't Let It End
- Kajagoogoo - Too Shy
- Daryl Hall & John Oates - Family Man
- Michael Jackson - Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
- The Tubes - She's A Beauty
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?