Saturday 1 July 2006
It was Saturday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Do I Make You Proud by Taylor Hicks.
In UK I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker (With Flowers In My Hair) by Sandi Thom was in the top 5 hits.
Oborona Sevastopolya, directed by Vasili Goncharov, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Lab.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing AMF Xtreme Bowling 2006 or Asterix & Obelix XXL 2 Mission: Wifix.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2006.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 2006!
Which were the important events of 1 July 2006 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 July
- The first operation of Qinghai-Tibet Railway in the People's Republic of China.
- Early elections in November are announced in the Netherlands. (Reuters)
- Discovery Mission STS-121's launch has been delayed today due to thunderstorms. The next launch attempt is scheduled for 3:26 PM EDT tomorrow, although more bad weather is forecast. (Associated Press)
- Osama Bin Laden warns the US and other nations not to become involved in Somalia and says that Al Qaeda reserves the right to ampquotpunishampquot the U.S. on its own soil. (Reuters)
- The United Nations Security Council votes unanimously to withdraw the 3,500 peacekeeping troops who are currently in Burundi on December 31, despite the continuing activities of the National Liberation Force rebel group. (Reuters)
- At least 60 people die from a car bomb in a market in Sadr City, a Shiite district of Baghdad. (Turkish Press)
- The Qingzang railway is formally opened in the by Chinese President Hu Jintao. (BBC)
- Operation Summer Rains:
- An Israeli helicopter gunship attacks the office of Prime Minister of Palestine Ismail Haniyeh. Observers report that the building had been set on fire but was unoccupied. (Melbourne Age)
- Israel rejects demand to free 1,000 prisoners, delivered earlier by the abductors of Cpl. Gilad Shalit. A Palestenian deputy minister says Shalit is in stable condition, but no sign of life is yet given. (Haaretz)
- A ceremony is held at Thiepval, Picardy, in France, to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme. ( BBC)
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?