Wednesday 1 July 2009
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Boom Boom Pow by The Black Eyed Peas.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, directed by David Yates, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while New Moon by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Video Games AWESOME!.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing AI War: Fleet Command or Bomberman Touch 2: Volcano Party.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 2009!
Which were the important events of 1 July 2009 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 July
- Shares of American International Group drop 22 percent, following shareholder approval of a 1-for-20 reverse stock split, and after the New York Stock Exchange accidentally announced the suspension and delisting of the stock.
- Crabtree & Evelyn of Connecticut, USA files for bankruptcy protection.
- Croatian Prime Minister Ivo Sanader resigns giving no specific reason. Jadranka Kosor is announced as the next Prime Minister, the first woman ever to hold the post.
- TerreStar-1, the largest commercial telecommunication satellite ever built, is successfully launched. (spaceflightnow.com )
- The European Union declares Ireland free of brucellosis, a disease which cost the country millions of euro to eradicate. (''The Irish Times'')
- The Organization of American States gives Honduras three days to restore its deposed president, Manuel Zelaya. (The New York Times)
- Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt assumes the rotating presidency over the European Union. (Reuters)
- Officials in Comoros confirm that one passenger from Yemenia Flight 626, a 14-year-old girl, has been found alive. (BBC)
- Croatian Prime Minister Ivo Sanader resigns amidst European Union negotiations standstill and economic crisis. (BBC)
- The Met Office issues a level-3 heatwave alert across London and the South East of England for the first time since June 2006. (BBC)
- Taoiseach Brian Cowen informs Dáil Éireann that Ireland has 11.9% unemployment, with June's growth the slowest rate of increase since January. (RTÉ)
- Three staff from the British Embassy in Tehran, Iran, are released after being detained for allegedly having a role in the post-election protests. (BBC)
- The remains of Jane Deasy are positively identified in the bodies recovered from Air France Flight 447. (RTÉ)
- Up to 30 people are feared dead after the MV ''Demas Victory'' capsizes and sinks in choppy Persian Gulf waters off the Qatari capital Doha. (Sky News)
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?