Sunday 1 July 2012
It was Sunday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
Girl with Hyacinths, directed by Hasse Ekman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Darker by E L James was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Jaffa Factory.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Digimon World Re:Digitize or Fable: The Journey.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 2012!
Which were the important events of 1 July 2012 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 July
- Syrian uprising (2011–present):
- Syrian opposition groups reject a UN-brokered peace plan accepted yesterday in Geneva for a political transition in Syria, arguing that it is ambiguous and a waste of time, and vowing not to negotiate with President Bashar Assad or members of his regime. (AP)
- At least 17 people are killed and 45 injured in an attack on two churches in the eastern Kenyan town of Garissa. (MSNBC)
- Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan:
- At least five people are killed and 11 injured after a bomb strikes a bus near the Afghan city of Ghazni. (AP via ''Winnipeg Free Press'')
- A gunman wearing Afghan National Police uniform kills three members of NATO's International Security Assistance Force in southern Afghanistan. (RTE)
- Barclays chairman Marcus Agius is to resign following the Libor interest rate scandal. (BBC)
- Japan provokes protests from its people by restarting the first nuclear reactor since last year's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster. (BBC)
- Colombia evacuates towns near the Nevado del Ruiz volcano over concerns about a possible eruption. (AP via ''Atlanta Journal Constitution'')
- Voters in Mexico go to the polls for a general election with Institutional Revolutionary Party presidential candidate Enrique Pena Nieto claiming victory. (Reuters)
- Hong Kong:
- Protesters throng the streets of Hong Kong, hours after President Hu Jintao of China swore in Leung Chun-ying as new Chief Executive and the Executive Council for the territory. (''The New York Times'')
- Writing in ''The Sunday Telegraph'' British Prime Minister David Cameron says he is prepared to consider a referendum on the UK's relationship with the European Union, but only when the time is right. (BBC)
- A Soyuz space capsule containing Oleg Kononenko (Russia), André Kuipers (Netherlands) and Don Pettit (United States) lands safely in Kazakhstan. (Sky News Australia)
- The Olimpiyskiy National Sports Complex in Kiev prepares to host the UEFA Euro 2012 Final, contested by Spain and Italy. (''National Post'' via ''Calgary Herald'')
- In golf, Tiger Woods wins the ATT National passing Jack Nicklaus for PGA Tour wins and is now second behind Sam Snead. (''USA Today'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in July 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?