Saturday 1 June 1940
It was Saturday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Rene Auberjonois and Bernard Housset.
The Ghost Breakers, directed by George Marshall, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 June 1940!
Which were the important events of 1 June 1940 ?
- Samoa - Independence Day 1962.
- Roman Empire - Festival in honour of Carna.
- Children's Day in some countries.
- Commemoration of Justin Martyr (Anglican).
- Kenya Madaraka Day 1963.
- Tunisia - Constitution Day / Victory Day 1959.
- The Ascension in Eastern Christianity.
- Nirvana of Buddhists.
- Rene Auberjonois: American actor.
- Bernard Housset: French Catholic clergyman who has been Bishop of La Rochelle and Saintes since 2006.
- René Auberjonois: American actor singer and director.
- Katerina Gogou: Greek actress and poet (d. 1993).
- Kip Thorne: American physicist astronomer and academic.
- Coffee and tea rationed in Holland
- General Major Bernard Montgomery returns to London
- Nazi occupiers kick Jews out of Dutch air guard
- The Leninist Communist Youth League of the Karelo-Finnish SSR holds its first congress.
- The Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit Corporation goes out of business, giving the City of New York full control of the subway system in the city.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 June 1940
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?