Thursday 1 June 1950
It was Thursday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Annemarie Jorritsma-Lebbink and Gennadi Mikhailovich Manakov.
The Asphalt Jungle, directed by John Huston, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while The Cardinal by Henry Morton Robinson was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Armstrong Circle Theatre.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 June 1950!
Which were the important events of 1 June 1950 ?
- Samoa - Independence Day 1962.
- Roman Empire - Festival in honour of Carna.
- Children's Day in some countries.
- Commemoration of Justin Martyr (Anglican).
- Kenya Madaraka Day 1963.
- Tunisia - Constitution Day / Victory Day 1959.
- The Ascension in Eastern Christianity.
- Nirvana of Buddhists.
- Annemarie Jorritsma-Lebbink: Dutch Minister of Traffic (VVD).
- Gennadi Mikhailovich Manakov: Colonel / Cosmonaut (Soyuz TM-10, TM-16).
- Graham Russell: Melbourne, Victoria -- Rock vocalist (Air Supply).
- Bernard Mazières: French journalist assassined by his own.
- Tom Robinson: British rock star and broadcasting personality, the singer famous for the "Glad to Be Gay" song who later came out as bisexual, married a woman and had two children.
- Charlene : American singer
- Perrin Beatty: Canadian businessman and politician
- Gemma Craven: Dublin, Ireland -- Actress (Wagner, Story of Slipper & Rose)
- Jean Lambert: English educator and politician
- Michael McDowell: American author and screenwriter (d. 1999)
- Wayne Nelson: American singer and bass player (Little River Band)
- WKZO (now WWMT) TV channel 3 in Kalamazoo, MI (CBS) 1st broadcast
- June 23 ampndash Mauna Loa in Hawaii starts erupting.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 June 1950
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1950 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Kay Starr - Bonaparte's Retreat
- Count Every Star - Ray Anthony
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?