Monday 1 June 1959
It was Monday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of June people in US were listening to The Battle Of New Orleans by Johnny Horton.
In UK A Fool Such As I / I Need Your Love Tonight by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
They Came to Cordura, directed by Robert Rossen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 June 1959!
Which were the important events of 1 June 1959 ?
- Samoa - Independence Day 1962.
- Roman Empire - Festival in honour of Carna.
- Children's Day in some countries.
- Commemoration of Justin Martyr (Anglican).
- Kenya Madaraka Day 1963.
- Tunisia - Constitution Day / Victory Day 1959.
- The Ascension in Eastern Christianity.
- Nirvana of Buddhists.
- Alan Wilder: British rock musician who does the electronics and plays the synthesizer with "Depeche Mode.
- Martin Brundle: British race car driver and F1 television commentator.
- John Pullinger: English statistician and librarian.
- Thierry Rey: Belgian athlete in the sport of judo (super light category).
- Sax Rohmer: English-American author (d. 1959).
- 2-time champ Monterrey Mexico barred from 1959 Little League competition for using players outside predetermined geographical area
- Constitution of Tunisia promulgated (National Day).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Wilbert Harrison - Kansas City
- Dave Baby Cortez - The Happy Organ
- Lloyd Price - Personality
- The Impalas - Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home)
- Bobby Darin - Dream Lover
- Martin Denny - Quiet Village
- Edward Byrnes - Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)
- Dion and the Belmonts - A Teenager In Love
- Franck Pourcel's French Fiddles - Only You
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?