Thursday 1 June 1961
It was Thursday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of June people in US were listening to Travelin' Man by Ricky Nelson.
In UK Blue Moon by The Marcels was in the top 5 hits.
The Last Sunset, directed by Robert Aldrich, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 June 1961!
Which were the important events of 1 June 1961 ?
- Samoa - Independence Day 1962.
- Roman Empire - Festival in honour of Carna.
- Children's Day in some countries.
- Commemoration of Justin Martyr (Anglican).
- Kenya Madaraka Day 1963.
- Tunisia - Constitution Day / Victory Day 1959.
- The Ascension in Eastern Christianity.
- Nirvana of Buddhists.
- Johnny Ray Huston: Mount Vernon, Illinois -- PGA golfer (1990 Honda Classic).
- Mark Rodenhauser: NFL center (Green Bay Packers, Carolina Panthers).
- Paul Coffey: Weston, Ontario -- NHL forward (Oilers, Penguins, Red Wings).
- Werner Günthör: Swiss shot putter and bobsledder.
- Peter Machajdík: Slovakian-German pianist and composer.
- Peter Machajdik: Slovakian composer
- Jennifer Coolidge: American actress and comedian, known for playing "Stifler's mom", a role prominent in the American Pie films; Paulette, the manicurist in Legally Blonde (2001) and its sequel (2003); Hilary Duff's evil stepmother in A Cinderella Story (2004); and as the voice of Aunt Fanny in the animated feature Robots (2005). She is also a regular actor in Christopher Guest's mockumentary films. Coolidge is an alumna of The Groundlings, an improv and sketch comedy troupe based in Los Angeles. She currently sta
- FM multiplex stereo broadcasting 1st heard
- Ethiopia experiences its most devastating earthquake of the 20th century, with a magnitude of 6.7. The town of Majete is destroyed, 45% of the houses in Karakore collapse, of the main road north of Karakore are damaged by landslides and fissures, and 5,000 inhabitants in the area are left homeless.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Del Shannon - Runaway
- Ricky Nelson - Travelin' Man
- Ernie K-Doe - Mother-In-Law
- Roy Orbison - Running Scared
- Shep and the Limelites - Daddy's Home
- Gene McDaniels - A Hundred Pounds Of Clay
- The Shirelles - Mama Said
- Elvis Presley - I Feel So Bad
- Connie Francis - Breakin' In A Brand New Broken Heart
- The Fleetwoods - Tragedy
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?