Monday 1 June 2009
It was Monday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of June people in US were listening to Boom Boom Pow by The Black Eyed Peas.
The Hangover, directed by Todd Phillips, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while New Moon by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 June 2009!
Which were the important events of 1 June 2009 ?
- Samoa - Independence Day 1962.
- Roman Empire - Festival in honour of Carna.
- Children's Day in some countries.
- Commemoration of Justin Martyr (Anglican).
- Kenya Madaraka Day 1963.
- Tunisia - Constitution Day / Victory Day 1959.
- The Ascension in Eastern Christianity.
- Nirvana of Buddhists.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 June
- New USA requirement goes into effect for passports or other approved identification to be shown at all entry points.
- American car-maker General Motors files for bankruptcy, the third-largest in U.S. history and the largest ever in U.S. manufacturing. The U.S. government will provide US$30 billion of additional taxpayer funds to restructure.
- General Motors files for chapter 11 bankruptcy. It is the fourth largest United States bankruptcy in history.
- Mauricio Funes is inaugurated as President of El Salvador. (Al Jazeera)
- The Central Bank of Nicaragua introduces new 100 and 200 Córdoba banknotes. (TIME)
- The United States Congressional Research Service reports that China is aiding the development of Pakistan's program of nuclear weaponry. (''The Times of India'')
- General Motors files for bankruptcy under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. (''Detroit Free Press'')
- The Taliban kidnaps approximately 400 people in North-West Frontier Province, Pakistan. (RTÉ)
- More than 40,000 females compete in the Women's Mini Marathon in Dublin, Ireland. ''(The Irish Times)''
- The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta refuses to release British hostage Matthew Maguire. (BBC)
- A man kills one soldier and injures another at a military recruitment center in Little Rock, Arkansas. (AP)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2009 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?