Friday 1 June 2012
It was Friday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of June people in US were listening to Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye.
Prometheus, directed by Ridley Scott, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Freed by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 June 2012!
Which were the important events of 1 June 2012 ?
- Samoa - Independence Day 1962.
- Roman Empire - Festival in honour of Carna.
- Children's Day in some countries.
- Commemoration of Justin Martyr (Anglican).
- Kenya Madaraka Day 1963.
- Tunisia - Constitution Day / Victory Day 1959.
- The Ascension in Eastern Christianity.
- Nirvana of Buddhists.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 June
- Syrian uprising: The United Nations Human Rights Council votes to condemn the massacre carried out by Syrian forces in the town of Houla on May 25, despite Russia, China and Cuba voting against the resolution. (''The Guardian'')
- ''The New York Times'' reports that U.S. President Barack Obama accelerated the pace of the American cyberwarfare campaign after the 2010 Stuxnet. (''The New York Times'')
- An armed Palestinian infiltrator and an Israeli soldier are killed during an exchange of fire along the Gaza border, and at least three militants are injured during an Israeli air strike on Gaza. (BBC)
- Madonna kicks off the MDNA Tour in Tel Aviv, Israel. (BBC)
- World stock markets hit their lowest level in 2012. (''The Guardian'')
- Gonorrhoea soars in England. (BBC)
- China arrests a security ministry official on suspicion of spying for the United States the official is reported to have been blackmailed by the CIA. (BBC)
- The Japanese yen and the Chinese yuan begin direct trading. (Yomiuri)
- The Venezuelan government outlaws the commercial sale of guns and ammunition, the latest in a series of initiatives to improve security and cut crime. (BBC)
- Samoa announces the pardon of 35 prisoners to celebrate the 50th anniversary of its independence from New Zealand. (BBC)
- The Food and Drug Administration, a U.S. government agency, goes to court to secure supplies of a drug used in lethal injections, which have dwindled since an importation ban. (BBC)
- Counting of votes in the Irish referendum on the European Fiscal Compact gets underway, with early tallies indicating the Compact has been approved. (''The Guardian'')
- In baseball, Johan Santana pitches a no-hitter against the St. Louis Cardinals, the first in New York Mets history. (ESPN)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2012 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?